ARCS International Conference Travel Award Program
DUE TO BUDGET CUTS, THERE WILL BE NO COMPETITION IN 2016-17.
The American Research Center in Sofia, with the support of the America for Bulgaria Foundation, announces a competition to support travel costs for participation in conferences of international importance in and outside Bulgaria.
THE AWARDS: Applicants may apply for up to 1500 BGN to support their travel costs for participation in international conferences.
ELIGIBILITY: Scholars are expected to have a PhD; however, advanced doctoral students in good standing within their degree program may also be considered. These scholars must be presenters or invited participants at a conference of international importance in the fields of archaeology, history, art history, musicology, anthropology, sociology or related disciplines in the humanities and social sciences; in the case of multi-authored papers, only one author may apply to ARCS for funding and this applicant must also be the paper’s primary presenter at the conference. Applicants are eligible for only one award per year.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application consists of:
1. a brief cv (up to two pages in length);
2. an abstract of the paper that the applicant will present at the conference, together with evidence that the paper has been accepted for presentation;
3. a brief statement (up to one page in length) of the international importance of the conference within the applicant’s field of scholarly research;
4. a detailed budget. Eligible costs include: travel expenses; conference registration fees; hotel; and, when applicable, visa fees; funds will not be provided for food, per diem or salary;
5. for advanced doctoral students: a letter from the applicant’s dissertation advisor that attests to the applicant’s good standing within the degree program and indicates how the applicant will benefit from participating in the conference.
The award program has three submission deadlines in 2014: March 1, July 1, and November 1. Applicants can expect to be notified of the decision of the ARCS Awards Committee 3-4 weeks after these submission deadlines. The language of application is English. These materials must be submitted electronically to the Dr. Emil Nankov, ARCS Archaeology Program Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org). PLEASE DO NOT SEND APPLICATIONS MORE THAN ONE MONTH PRIOR TO THE DEADLINES.
CONTACT: Please direct any questions about this award program or application procedure to Dr. Emil Nankov (email@example.com).